Sunday, September 5, 2010

good reads

I just finished this book by Liza Palmer. I've been trying to read more this summer, since it's one of my favorite things to do, and I've been pretty successful at it. Most of the time, I start a book and by the first chapter I've decided if I'm going to keep reading it or ditch it. This book was very slow to start, and I almost abandoned it after the first chapter. However, the author's sarcastic writing and detail to the little things made me keep going, and I'm glad I did.

It's not often that I find myself getting choked up over a story in a book, but I know it's a good one if I do. I cried a minimum of 5 times while reading and it only took me 3 days to finish, so you do the math.

The story of four children trying to deal with their parent's death and the aftermath of such a tragedy is maybe not something everyone can relate to... but it's at least something everyone has thought of a few times in their life. How do you deal with such a hard task? The story is heart wrenching at times, and the author does an amazing job at conveying the characters true feelings.

On a scale of 1-10, I give this book a 7.5. The writing is very well done, but the story is repetitive at times, making it a boring read at some points.

Needless to say, I'm off to the library to see if I can find a few other books of Liza Palmer's and see if they tug at the ol' heart strings the way this one did. I recommend reading it if you like books that are witty and emotional, all at the same time.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, September 07, 2010 , Blogger Sarah with an "h" said...

Hmm, it's intriguing. I may just read this one. Thanks for the recommendation!

:o)Sarah

 
At Monday, September 13, 2010 , Blogger modest typewriter vintage said...

She's a great writer... I just got another of her books at the library (Conversations with the Fat Girl) and I'm hooked!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home